FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
“By adjourning the House of Commons until September, the Government is refusing to allow us to have Opposition Days, request Emergency Debates, debate Private Members Bills, order the publication of government documents, or debate and vote on committee reports,” said MP Arnold Viersen. “Sprinkling a few extra special COVID-19 Parliamentary committee meetings throughout June and the summer to discuss the government’s response to the COVID-19 crisis just doesn’t cut it.”
- Total Canadian cases: 88,512 (34,795 active, 46,840 recovered, 6,877 deceased)
- May 25 – Canada Emergency Commercial Rent Assistance open for applications
- May 25 – MP Viersen writes to PM Trudeau regarding cut funding for human trafficking survivors and organizations during Covid-19, including two in Alberta. This follows a letter MP Viersen sent to Ministers Blair and Monsef on May 15.
- May 26 – Ontario government released a report by the Canadian Armed Forces outlining disturbing issues in long-term care homes.
- May 26 – Liberal government, supported by the NDP, adjourns Parliament until September.
- May 28 – Conservative MP Karen Vecchio leads multiparty letter and press conference to PM regarding cut funding for human trafficking organizations.
All national updates can be found at: www.Canada.ca/coronavirus
- Total cases in Alberta: 6,955 confirmed (6,160 recovered, 143 deceased).
- 239 cases in the North zone (16 deceased – 1 more since last week).
- Hardest-hit seniors’ homes in northern Alberta see big drop in COVID-19 cases
All Alberta updates can be found at: https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx