FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
“Today’s announcement fails to meet the needs of farmers who have been asking the government for help for months.” said MP Arnold Viersen. “We have repeatedly called on the Trudeau Liberals to take strong action including reforming BRM programs & implementing a temporary cattle set-aside. When food security should be a priority, the Liberals are sprinkling water on a burning farm house.”
- Total Canadian cases: 61,981 (31,283 active, 26,661 recovered, 4,037 deceased)
- NEW – Federal government announces $252 million in funding for the agriculture sector including:
- $77.5 million for food processors
- $125 million for AgriRecovery
- $50 million for a government purchase program for surplus foods
- NEW – Conservatives and agriculture groups say federal announcement fails to meet the needs of farmers and producers:
- Canadian Federation of Agriculture – $252M Falls Woefully Short
- Alberta Wheat and Barley Commissions – Fails to address long-term issues
- Grain Growers of Canada – Falls Short
- Western Canadian Wheat Growers – Extremely inadequate, slap in the face
- BC Fruit Growers – Underwhelmed by agricultural aid package
- NEW – The Coronavirus Global Response is launched including Canada.
All national updates can be found at: www.Canada.ca/coronavirus
- Total cases in Alberta: 5,836 confirmed (2,942 recovered, 104 deceased).
- 221 cases in the North zone (15 deceased).
- NEW – Alberta expands symptoms that make those eligible to be tested.
All Alberta updates can be found at: https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx