FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
“Our agricultural sector bears a significant burden during this crisis, while ensuring our stores continue to have safe and affordable food,” said MP Arnold Viersen. “That is why I wholeheartedly support MP John Barlow’s call for the federal government to declare the agriculture sector as critical infrastructure during this crisis.”
“I also urge the federal government to eliminate the carbon tax all together. This is not the time to be driving up every day costs for Canadians, and particularly for the farmers growing our food.”
- Total Canadian cases: 9,017.
- Over 250,000 Canadians tested for COVID-19 (3.7% positive, 95% negative)
- NEW – Conservatives call on Liberals to immediately declare the agricultural sector as critical infrastructure
- NEW – Federal Carbon tax increases 50% to $30/tonne directly affecting farmers.
- NEW – CERB application portal is slated to open on April 6.
- NEW – Federal government announces $2 billion to purchase personal protective equipment, including for bulk purchases with provinces and territories.
- NEW – Downloadable Health Canada app released providing updates on Covid-19.
All national updates can be found at: www.Canada.ca/coronavirus
- Total cases in Alberta: 754 (9 deaths and 120 recovered).
- 50 cases in the North zone.
- Over 48,600 Albertans have been tested for COVID-19.
All Alberta updates can be found at: https://www.alberta.ca/coronavirus-info-for-albertans.aspx